Working ergonomicallly, 10 tips
The 10 tips below increase comfort, enhance health and improve your effectiveness when working (at your workstation):
- Adopt the right work posture (screen set-up and furniture arrangement).
- Alternate screen work with other types of work.
- Alternate between easy and complex tasks, this prevents excessive stress.
- Regularly take short breaks, leave your workplace briefly.
- Take the time to walk around and visit colleagues rather than using the telephone or email. Exercise boosts blood circulation to the level required for good supply of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and removal of waste products.
- Know your limits. Do not let stress take over your life. If necessary, discuss any problems you may have with your manager.
- Drink an adequate amount of water. Water is required to remove waste products from the body.
- You should also take a critical look at your computer workstation at home.
- Take any complaints you have seriously, report them in good time to your employer, GP and/or company physician. Ignoring pain can lead to even more pain, tissue and joint damage and even illness.
- Do not work for longer than 5 to 6 hours at a computer monitor.